Requirements For A “Qualified” Instructor for Inclined Playing Surfaces (e.g. Raked Stage, Ramp, Inclined Set Piece, etc.)

Equity has been in consultation with the American Physical Therapy Association and their Performing Arts Special Interest Group (PASIG) and we have learned that the inclined playing surface instructor should have the following qualifications:

  • Licensed in a field that includes formal training in human anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, biomechanics and ergonomics.
  • The instructor's training or experience should include the skills and abilities necessary to assess risk factors associated with musculoskeletal injury/illness.
  • Licensed professionals with such training include physical therapists, occupational therapists, and physicians.
  • However, individuals in other licensed/certified health care professions may be appropriate after demonstrating equivalent study/knowledge in these areas.

It is highly recommended that instructors should have previous work experience with performing artists that includes work performed in a clinic and at the worksite (theater) and a minimum of two (2) years of health care professional experience.