Equity's dues structure has two components:
- Basic dues: $176 annually, billed at $88 twice a year each May and November
- Working dues: 2.5% of gross earnings under Equity contract, which are collected through weekly payroll deductions
Please note: gross earnings do not include the minimum portion of out-of-town per diem expense monies.
$1,800 paid within a maximum three-year period. While working on contract, deductions will be made based on your weekly salary.
You are cautioned that your membership, and any monies paid, will be forfeited should you fail to complete payment of the full initiation fee within the three-year time period.
All membership privileges, including the right to vote, attend meetings and Equity-only auditions, commence upon the initial payment of $600 towards the initiation fee within six months of filing your application.
If you are joining Equity through 4As affiliation, the Equity Membership Candidate Program or Open Access, the minimum $600 initial payment is due with your application.
If your parent union (the first performing artist union you joined) is the American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA), Canadian Actors' Equity (CAEA) or the Guild of Italian American Artists (GIAA), you may be eligible for a reduction in the Equity Initiation Fee based on the amount of the initiation fee you paid to your parent union. You will be advised of the amount of this reduction by the Equity Membership Department at the time you submit your application.
For former members, rejoining through the Open Access Program any previous initiation fee payments will be credited towards your new initiation fee.
If you are working under an Equity contract at the time of joining, authorization for dues and initiation fee deductions from your weekly salary appears on the face of the Equity contract. Weekly deductions towards the balance due will be made from your salary according to the following schedule. These deductions will continue whenever you are employed until the full initiation fee is paid.
|$601 – 700
|$701 – 800
|$801 – 900
|$901 – 1,100
|$1,101 – 1,500
|$1,501 or more
Equity's billing periods are May and November of each year; bills are mailed in April and October, and payment is due by May 31 and November 30, respectively. Payments can be made by credit card in the Member Portal. Additionally, payments can be made by phone or mailed to any Equity office. Check, money order or Visa/MasterCard/Discover/American Express is accepted.
*Please note, due to the extraordinary circumstances of the current moment, a number of dues relief measures have been implemented. Read more in the member portal.
MEMBERSHIP REFUND POLICY
- Payments made by Members of Actors’ Equity to satisfy dues, fees, and late charges will not be refunded.
- Overpayments by Members of Equity will be refunded upon request of the Member via phone to the membership department at an Equity office or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Actors’ Equity Association reserves the right to refuse or terminate a membership in Actors' Equity in accordance with Equity’s membership policies, the Equity Constitution and By-Laws and consistent with federal law.
- If a new applicant or a rejoining applicant is refused membership a refund of the initiation fee paid will be made.
- Membership resignation received in writing to an Equity office shall not relieve a member of any obligations or moneys that the member owed or was assessed prior to the date of such resignation.
All refund requests must be made by the applicant or member. Refunds will be credited back to the original credit card used for payment or may be refunded by check. These above policies apply to all Actors' Equity Association memberships unless otherwise noted in the corresponding Equity materials. Please read all Equity information thoroughly. All question about union membership or payment of union dues should be directed to email@example.com.
LOSS OF MEMBERSHIP
If you are delinquent in the payment of dues for a period of two years, and you did not apply for inactive status, or if you fail to pay your initiation fee in full in the specified time period, you are considered "out-of-benefits" and your membership is automatically terminated. Members are therefore strongly urged to remain in good standing with Equity.