AEA Logo


Members Only

  Benefits Overview
  Actors' Fund
  Agency Regulations
  Contract Benefits
  Credit Union
  Health Insurance
  Name Protection
  Unemployment Ins.
  Tax Assistance (VITA)
  Theatre Authority
  Voting Privileges
  Young Performers


Workers' Comp


Workers’ Compensation is a state-mandated benefit — paid by your employer — that entitles you to medical care, hospitalization, rehabilitation and partial wage replacement when you have job-related injuries or illness. In each state there is a Workers' Compensation Board or regulatory agency that receives and processes workers’ claims for benefits, employers’ reports of injuries and medical reports from physicians and other health care providers.

The Eastern Region’s Committee on Workers' Compensation and Workplace Safety continues to improve services for members with regard to Workers' Compensation. However, if you are injured on the job, there are things you can do to help yourself.

If you are injured:

  • Immediately report the injury to your stage manager
  • Have an accident report filed by your employer with the insurance company; request a copy
    (This form should have the name and address of the insurance carrier, your employer’s policy number and your claim number listed. Give this information to any doctor that treats your injury; never use your personal insurance or pay out of pocket)   
  • Ask your Equity Deputy to file an accident report in the Deputy Support Center
  • Fill out an Employee Claim form and mail it to the state’s Workers’ Compensation Board
  • Keep a copy of every form you file and every document you receive

If you need to miss work:

  • Get documentation from your doctor confirming your disability
  • Contact Actors’ Equity Association’s Workers’ Compensation department regarding Supplemental Workers’ Compensation Benefits
    • This coverage is separate from and in addition to Workers’ Compensation Insurance
    • You will not lose all your pay for this time lost. The Supplemental Workers’ Compensation Plan will reimburse you for 100% of salary or 75% of Production Contract minimum, whichever is less, minus any payment you receive from Workers’ Compensation
    • This benefit is subject to taxes; Workers’ Compensation is not
    • You can collect Supplemental Workers’ Compensation for as little as one day and up to five years
    • You must file for SWC within 12 months of your accident or 12 months from the day you receive your first disability check from Workers' Comp

Remember: You do not have to use sick leave. Save your sick leave for time losses due to illness or injuries and accidents that occur off the job (unrelated to your work).

Important Links and Forms:

Supplemental Workers' Comp

Worked Sustained Accidents (SM Kit)

Deputy Accident Report (Deputy Kit)

SM Work Related Injury Checklist (NY Only)

W-4S IRS Form


Home | Members Only | About Equity | Member Benefits | Document Library
FAQ | News and Media | Membership Department | Contact

© 2018 . Actors' Equity Association. Terms of Use | Privacy